SLR: What does a 32mm TV Eyepiece offer me?

I will be getting my GSO 32mm Tele-Visual eyepiece today and am starting to think about connecting my SLR to my Scope (Nexstar 4SE) and am a little confused as to what the 32mm TV EP offers.

A already have the necessary adaptors, and if I understand it correctly, I can just put my SLR into the scope, just as if it was an Eyepiece.

But I also understand that I can connect the camera to the 32mm EP..

By using the EP, what exactly does this give me?

I am still a bit confused over the whole "Telescope Photography" thing and just wonder if someone could explain what advantage a 32mm EP has over not using an EP at all?

Jon

If you have a DSLR where the lens can be removed, then you don't need to use the 32mm eyepiece.

If you have a "point an' shoot" camera with a fixed lens, then it can be used as the "afocal" method to allow you to image with the camera.

The FOV will be much less then you'll get with a DSLR mounted on the focuser (with no eyepiece)

HTH

If you have a DSLR where the lens can be removed, then you don't need to use the 32mm eyepiece.

If you have a "point an' shoot" camera with a fixed lens, then it can be used as the "afocal" method to allow you to image with the camera.

The FOV will be much less then you'll get with a DSLR mounted on the focuser (with no eyepiece)

HTH

Ahhh.. So since I am using an SLR, the 32mm TeleVisual lens offers me nothing?

So all SLR photography is done straight onto the focuser?

>80% of the imaging with a DSLR will be at the prime focus ie straight onto the focuser.

You may want to use a Barlow to increase the focal length on the Moon and planets - something like a x2.5 barlow......

Archived