Advice on beginner scope...

Hi all,

Following a recent birthday I have been promised a telescope by my wife. She asked for donations for it from our friends (rather than individual gifts) which amazingly raised around £600.

The primary use of the scope would be for use in the rural south-west of France, so light pollution will be extremely low. However, it would require a certain amount of portability, as I will no doubt move it around from time to time. Though it would not need to be so small as to travel on a plane, for example.

Obviously, as I am an amateur and beginner, I also require something which is relatively simple to set up and use effectively, but which also would last a long while and offer more advanced star gazing (not asking too much :o).

Finally, I do have an interest in the ability to create digital images but have very little knowledge of what would be required and how much this would send the price up. Though this is somewhat of an afterthought and not a primary concern.

I will be going to a telescope shop for some further advice but would appreciate any ideas in terms of makes, models and prices to look out for.

Thanks,

Richard

Something like an ED80 refractor on a EQ3 driven mount would get you started.

The opposite decision is a larger manual "push to go" Dobbie but although capable of giving great views in a dark site; will be severely limited for future imaging. A good 200mm or 250mm Dobbie would be nice.

Just my 0.02 Euro

Hi Richard, I'm also in South West France (11, Narbonne). Are you nearby?

For observational use, I would recommend an 8" Dobsonian like the Skywatcher Skyliner 200p. It's a great 'scope, especially with the dark sky here. It's good for photographing Planets and Moon but not DSO.

HTH,

Ed

Archived