NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 ordered. What next?

pwalsh61

After dithering about for long enough (well, saving my pennies) I've just ordered an EQ5 Pro mount from RVO (sorry FLO, but RVO had it advertised at the old price :o)

Anyway, I understand I should be able to attach my WO Meg72 directly to the mount. For visual work this would seem to be OK as balance shouldn't be a problem. However, once I attach DSLR and field flattener the centre of balance moves back a fair bit. I'm thus assuming it will be helpful to use a dovetail bar to give me more room to adjust balance. However, it looks as though this could foul the focuser lock depending on where the dovetail bar is attached (see position B in attached diagram - apologies for the crudeness but a draughtsman I ain't!)

Anyone out there with a meg72 who uses it for imaging care to advise on the best position and what sized dovetail bar to get?

post-19800-133877544697_thumb.jpg

The only solution I have tried is to rebalance the scope with all add-ons attached and focuser locked half way out. I'll be interested to see if there's a slicker solution. I suppose a longer dovetail with weights underneath might do it - but looks messy. Even with the rings I'm still restricted by proximity of the focuser wheel to the mount.

What about getting some rings , and remove the L mount.That would give you more than enough adjustment.

Hmm! I hadn't though of that. Thanks. Ah well, something else to order (and for SWMBO to comment on! :o) Next question is: What sized tube rings?

Archived