NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Merlin Non-GOTO (Supatrak) to GOTO Question

Dear All,

I currently own both a Merlin non-GOTO (Supatrack) mount and a similar mount but with Synscan GOTO controller. Both seen here:

Merlin

Can anyone tell me, if I attached the Synscan controller to the Merlin non-GOTO mount, would it be able to control it and provide GOTO (or would it break either the mount or controller)?

I haven't had the courage yet to try! However, this post suggests it would be OK:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/114752-skywatcher-supatrak-mount-control-stellarium.html

Thanks for any help,

Nick

I wouldn't dare try that for fear of frying the mount and/or handset or both. These things aren't like mains plug and sockets unfortunately.

You'd need to understand electronics and check the pinouts and voltages or you could do some expensive damage. :(

In the Skywatcher SupaTrack it does work, I have used the Synscan AZ Goto controller from my Dob on my Supatrack and given it goto.

However, I don't know if anyone has tried with a Merlin before or whether the same principles apply.

I suppose it depends if you think the risk is worth it??

Thanks very much guys. I guess I haven't thought the risk has been worth it up to now and never really considered it before. However, the thought of having two GOTO mounts (and much better tracking) at no extra cost is appealing. However, I think I will hangfire until anyone with the Merlin mounts can confrim (aka is brave enough to confirm)!

Thanks again,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I have run into a similar problem...I am using at the moment a non goto merlin mount with bluetooth conection to a mac or pc which is primarly used for panoramic photography. I am trying to figure out a way i can control it with an astronomy software like the starrynight, or cartes du ciel. I have tried installing the supatrack and ascom 5 drivers but with little luck in controling the mount. Does anyone have some idea on doing this ?

Archived