NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to operate a scope with Motor drive on manually?

My Astro-master 130EQ MD scope has a RA drive motor on. The fitting is by a thumb screw and plastic tunnel to the main hand turn part of the RA mount.

When the scope arrived the motor made noises and didn't turn the scope. Now I have a new motor the RA moved around with the motor operating. :) So how do I manually adjust the scope with the motor fitted? Do I need to loosen the grub screw off so I can move the RA or is there another way.

I just dont want to mess up another £35 motor first time out.

Any clues anybody?

Cheers for the reply Thermos.

When the clutch bolts mentioned are locked can I manually turn the knob (page 5 part No6) or will this ruin the new RA motor drive?

I'm guessing that PO of the scope did this and that's what seems to have killed the previous motor drive as I could move it without any effect on the motor drive when it arrived.

Cheers for the reply Thermos.

There is a clutch bolt that allows the scope to move on this axis, when loosened the motor will not move the RA.

When its locked can I manually turn the RA? This is what seems to have killed the previous motor drive as I could move it without any effect on the motor drive.

The way I understand it, you need to loosen the RA knob and that disconnects the moving part that is connected to the motor from the moving part that is connected to the scope. So, you loosen it, rotate the scope around the RA axis to where you want it and then tighten the RA knob again. You are then ready to use the motor.

Cheers Themos.

So reading you correctly, you set the scope on the target with the clutches loose, tighten them and then set the motor off to follow the object.

What happens if the scope doesn't follow the trajectory of the object and you need to move the scope again? Loosen both clutches?

Guess SGL6 is going to have to answer a lot more questions.

Archived