dslr imaging

hi, im new to this imaging lark and i could do with a little advise. im using a mn190 pro on an neq6 mount and an unmodified canon eos 450, ive taken quite a few shots of the orion neb and the double cluster at varios iso settings and exposure times , and compared with some of the pictures on the forum mine arent that good. ive noticed when using high iso settings 800 or 1600 the black sky has taken on an orange tinge which ruins the picture, the light pollution where i am isnt to bad but do you think a filter would help the problem , if theres anyone out there whos got similar gear to me that has cracked taking good photos can you tell me where im going wrong and how your doing it, also can any one recommend a descent mid priced 2" light pollution filter

Have you taken single pictures, or several and stacked them? What we do, is to take many pictures, up to 100 of needed, sometimes even of each colour, and then stack them together to get a clear and detailed picture.

then, we work on the sky glow. in many cases, this is easily removed in photoshop.

If you want to take it a step further, there are filter you can use on the camera to block out the light pollution from yellow/orange street lights and so.

can you upload a picture so we can have a look at it, then it's easier to see what needs to be done and point you in teh correct direction. :)

The orange glow sounds like light pollution, I have both a CLS Clip filter (quite expensive) and the SW LPR filter (much cheaper). I always use one or the other, depending on the focal ratio I'm operating at. The CLS is quite harsh for use at f/7.5 with my 80ED, but the SW LPR works nicely, and is cheap enough to make it worth a punt.

Light Pollution Reduction - Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

the LP where I am is pretty good, but a filter does make a big difference to my results.

You should be able to get decent enough results out of the Orion Neb with only 1 or 2 minute exposures at ISO800 and stacked in deep sky stacker, and you don't really need a huge number of them.

Archived