NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second light!

KentDave

Hi All,

Thought I'd quickly share my second outing with you!

After having trouble following objects on my first night with the scope I made the effort to polar align, and was pleased that I managed to do it easily thnks to a good view of polaris. It was definitely worth doing as tracking suddenly became very easy.

I mostly looked at M42, as I managed to find it before, but today viewing conditions were much better. I could easily make out the nebula, and with the 10mm eyepiece and barlow it looked great. I was pleased with my 'first light' viewing, but my second blew it away and made me realise how much difference conditions can make from one outing to the next. I could make it out so much better and it really pleased me.

I also had a quick look at M45, the Pleiades, and found using the 25mm eyepiece was best to get most of it into view. It looked wonderful, and again I was amazed by how many stars can be seen that just 'aren't there' with the naked eye.

I'm still having trouble locating galaxies, but I'm sure I will find something eventually. I am also looking forward to having a good look at the moon, and any planets I can find. Hopefully I will get up/stay awake long enough to see Saturn, something I am really looking forward to.

Sadly cloud arrived again so I was limited with my viewing tonight, but I am looking forward to the next clear night.

Cheers, Dave.

Archived