Is There a Tutorial on Eyepiece Optics?

rabbithutch

So far I've learned that eyepieces focus and magnify light reflected by the primary and secondary mirrors in my Newtonian mounted Dobsonian. What I don't know anything about, is how the optics in ep's work. Yes, my 40 mm Plossl gives me lower magnification than my 7.5 mm Plossl. But why is it a Plossl? I know it's named after the fellow who invented it, but what makes the optics different? And, what does one compare Plossl optics to?

I also have a Meade 24.5 mm Super Wide Angle ep that gives me a larger field of view. The image viewed is larger, but I don't think the magnification is higher. The field of view is wider.

I'd like to understand more about the optics, but I've had no education in physics. Is it possible for a simple man to understand the principles behind the workings of ep's?

TIA

Archived