Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deershed Festival (North Yorkshire)

EA2007

Evening all,

I have been contacted by the admins for the Deershed Music / Arts Festival to be held in late July 2011 in a bid to host an astronomy themed weekend.

Its all in the early stages but the organisers were looking for anyone (primarily local) who could come along and help out. I have offered to go along and give a few 'astronomy sessions' and possibly lead a few sessions in York University's Cosmodome which has been lent to them by the kind people at York Uni.

Basically they / we are after a few more down to earth (excuse the pun) people to help those not so aufait with the night sky get an good introduction to the wonders of the universe above them. The weekend is aimed at families, although there is likely to be a host of generations and 'styles' at the venue.

If anyone near North Yorkshire is interested in helping out then please drop me a PM or reply on here and I can give you more information. You may even get a cash incentive for travel fees and it appears that the whole weekend will be catered for so a fun relaxed time will most likely be in order. There should be insurance availbale for anyone wishing to bring imaging equipment, telescopes, and other astronomical accessories and security will be provided to make sure everythings looked after.

Paul !

Nice to hear from you. Your quick to reply aren't ya...tho u never reply to any of my text you cheeky sod!

Anyway, you were my number one hope on this one given your vast knowledge of universal things :rolleyes: erm I can fire you some e-mails if you like that explain it in a bit more detail ?

No worries. Darlo? Northallerton is okay, Darlo's a bit of a dive these days though!

Flattery? Nah, just trying to bribe you, I can do the observational side of things and you can do the sciency bit! (btw there should be plenty of local ales and food there...bonus!)

From what I know so far (its still all preliminary stuff) then they are looking for someone to lead a few sessions in the planetarium, then maybe have a group of 'experts' giving a workshop or suchlike to family groups / kids in the daytime. Then in the evening they would like a few astronomy boffs to give some night-sky sessions to adults / children. I have told them that it gets dark enough after 10pm to view the planets (think Saturn is visible during July) and good enough for the MW at 11pm............if its clear that is! Duno how good or bad the LP is going to be, York is the nearest city at 20 miles away.

And yeah, sure bring Ali along, haven't met him yet. the more the better...especially if he's good at astro stuff and presentations.

Cheers dude.

Archived