Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hopefully Going to nex star level

Hey guys

Bought a 6se set up which I have been really impressed with. Made a homemade wedge thanks to help from Physcobilly.

After some research I bought an 8i OTA from USA for £200. It seems the only difference between the SE & I is the goto mount. Well I have an 6/8 se mount so the only difference really from having an 8se set up now is a grey tube rather than orange. (also some more modern coatings)

Anyway I want to get some DSO photography going. Managed a bit of orion nebula.

So I am thinking of getting a Goto EQ mount.

Suggestions please Eq5/HEq5 or Eq6 or even Cgem.

I also have a heavy Canon 7d which is now attached sometimes via jobo gorilla grip or t ring & adapter.

Would also like the rain & blumming cloads to foxtrot Oscar as still not used the new 8i

Cheers

Scouse

The SE mount is a upgrade/replacement to the 8i mount. You get more advanced feature such as Skyalign and vixen dovetail compatibility.

The 6SE has a very long focal length (1500mm), so you will need a mount with good tracking accuracy which immediately rule out EQ5. You will need HEQ5 or above. You should also consider a Vixen GP-DX/D2.

As for HEQ5 vs EQ6 vs CGEM, I'll leave it to someone with more experience to answer.

I know about the dovetail bracket on SE. I had an arguement with the seller as the OTA came with out bracket and I therefore had to buy a AMD bracket at £70. It wasn't until I was sent a picture of an 8i mount which has the bracket built in that I understood.

Felt a bit of a tool and apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks for info on EQ5 which i nearly bought the other day. HEQ5 or above me thinks.

Will also look at Vixen

Cheers

Archived