Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

finder scope on newtonian

leenewtoastro

i'm looking to buy a 200p but looking at the finder scope it looks like its right awkward to look up ? i'e it needs a 90° diagonal view piece.

?

so do you get one or one is available?

found this link but it more about guiding were as i just want it for finding. so no commercially available adapters about?

if not anyone know and thread specs so i could make one?

http://mbsastronomy.com/2009/03/30/finderscope-turned-guidescope/

Yes, you can get right angle finders ... but using them is like trying to drive down the motorway whilst only being able to see out of the passenger's door window. You can at least get to the right part of the sky by sighting down the outside of the finder, if your eye's behind it, once it's there it's natural to use the "straight through" type.

RAF are popular with those who haven't tried to use one. Those who have used both, and have at least some movement left in their neck, tend to prefer the straight through type.

The only time I find it awkward is when the finder is below the main eyepiece (ie the tube is to the right of the mount when pointing at an object) as I can only close my left eye and look through the right, so my left cheek is pressed firmly against the tube. I resort to the line of site method, simply looking along the tube and lining it up on the general direction of the object I'm hoping to view

If you're polar aligning you have the scope in its parked position - ie parallel to the RA axis, so the finder will be easily accessible. It's only when it's pointing in the opposite direction and low to the horizon (and possibly some other awkward angles) that you might find it hard !

Archived