Upgrading My Set Up

I currently have an 8" reflector on an EQ4 mount and I'm looking to upgrade. Because of the costs involved I'll buy the new mount and telescope separately.

I'll get the mount first and I'm looking at the Sky-Watcher NEQ6 (Pro SynScan). Will I be able to put pretty much any telescope on that? I'm thinking along the lines of a 10" reflector at the moment but I may decide to go for a different kind of telescope when it comes to the time.

All advice gratefully received :glasses1:

While all extra aperture is good, for visual use, you may not notice a substantial difference between an 8" and a 10". If you could go to 12", say on a dobsonian mount, that would be a proper upgrade.

OK, thanks.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here today and I'm now thinking that I'll probably just replace the mount and run with the 8" reflector that I've got.

I'm sure that'll be a bit more palatable for Mrs Sooty7. If she even notices I've bought it :glasses1:

OK, thanks.

I've been doing quite a bit of reading on here today and I'm now thinking that I'll probably just replace the mount and run with the 8" reflector that I've got.

Try dropping Spaceboy a PM - he's hinted that he's selling his EQ-5 mount, and is desperate to buy a warm tent and sleeping bags :glasses1::)

I don't think much over £150 will be in the camping fund unless my EQ5 mount sells.

I think the HEQ5 is at its limit with the 250mm 10" so as malc-c say's EQ6 for a 300mm 12".

If you upgrade your 200p for a 250 you will not see a huge amout of difrence, but if you go for a 300 you will see a difrence.(but allso in the price)

Archived