Which Telescope?

Hi guys!

i have the modified spc880nc webcam and i want to buy my very first compatible astronomy telescope.

I've seen some Celestron's for up to 150 euros /215 dollars but i dont know if they are what i am looking for.

so could you advice me, guys for a cheap model compatible with my webcam?

ps: i am sure, i must pay much more money to buy a very good telescope however i need to be very careful with my expenses (financial crisis in Greece) so your opinion is very welcome.

thanks in advance

Thanks nightfisher. however i forgot to mention that i cant buy from USA cause the very high customs tax and i cant find it in British shops, is it a discontinued model? if any of you have a model in mind that exceeds my given price range, please let me know (if the price difference is not big)

You are very specific about wanting to use your webcam so your telescope needs to be tailored to this purpose.

Your webcam targets will be the moon and planets. The planets are small so you need a long focal length in order to get them to be a reeasonble size on your chip.

The cheapest way to acheive this is with a small Maksutov Cassegrain such as one of these;

Maksutov

For webcamming you do not need a highly accurate mount becuase the free Registar or Avistack programmes will align images that have moved. You do not even have to have the mount equatorially aligned because the video files you shoot will only take a couple of minutes at most.

Webcams need focal length, that is the key to your choice.

Olly

wow olly, finaly i meet a French person who speaks very good english (jokingly) i never thought that the telescope type is so crucial for the webcam, so maybe my first post should look like this: i never watched planets and galaxy before, so i need to buy my first telescope, that will allow me to watch and divert the images and videos to my computer through a webcam or camera. sorry guys but i havent found an astronomy club in my area so i can only start alone with the internet's help!

thanks!!

Thomas: the Greek page you recommended says the reflector lenses are usually the first choice for beginners but they suffer of detunes (if on heavy use for instance)

please keep in mind that i am a kind of person who buys only cheap cellphones (less than 40euros) cause they dont stand for more than 2 months in hard use :)

i can not be very gentle so if what i read is correct, i better stay away from reflector telescopes?

ps: i appreciate your help guys but please keep in mind that a simple language and a short description to backup your recommendations, would be very helpful for me and every beginner who has the same question.

so from what i learned for my price range:

buying a refractor telescope would save me a lot of headache and worries but the image quality will be lower and i will be slightly limited because of the lower focal length i can afford.

for below 200euros, buying a reflector telescope would be better in all aspects untill it gets detuned. in this case i'll need a tool such as the "SKYWATCHER LASER COLLIMATOR" to fix it.

can you please confirm what i say and correct me if i am wrong?

can you also tell me how easy would be to use the collimator?

thanks once again!

if you get a reflector scope you can "retune" it without a laser just a case of learning how!

for your budget i would suggest the "skywatcher" evostar 90mm refractor, it has long focal length and would manage to give you webcam image of moon and planets, you could email FLO and see how much euro to ship to greece

Themos, nightfisher orion the hunter olly i appreciate your help but unfortunately. all of my savings will end up to repairs (the bad weather conditions caused a damage to the roof )

so i better forget the night watching for a while.

i've saved the topic to my favorites and when i'll be able to buy a telescope, i will come back!

best regards from Greece and thanks once for your help!

Archived