Goto backlash measurement?

I have a skywatcher 127 mak goto. I understand what backlash is, and i'm aware there is a certain amount in my AZ axis, but what is the best way to measure how much there is?:)

All I can come up with is:

Slew left to take up any backlash,

take note of AZ reading,

set slew speed to minimum,

slew right whilst looking through eyepiece and stop as soon as movement is seen,

take reading and work out difference and this is value of backlash to be entered in handset?

Is this right? Is there a more acurate way of doing it other than just looking through the eyepiece and looking for movement?

I hope this makes sense to someone:icon_scratch:

TIA

Dean

I have not used the skymax so I hope this helps. this is for my nexstar I hope it works for you

To correctly set backlash compensation, start by aligning the scope. Point the scope towards the southeast, up at about 45 degrees from the horizon. Set the RATE value to the one you use move often when manually slewing the scope - generally 4, 5 or 6. Set the Azm Backlash to 0 and the Alt Backlash to 0. Azm Backlash corresponds to the left/right buttons, while Alt Backlash corresponds to the up/down button. While viewing an object in the eyepiece, observe the responsiveness of each of the four arrow buttons. Note which directions exhibit a pause, for example, right and down. Working one axis at a time, adjust the backlash setting high enough to cause immediate movement without resulting in a pronounced jump when pressing or releasing the button.

Archived