Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Great Session tonight

LoopyLunar

Hi all,

Well I had a quick weather check here in Essex and say BBC were indicating clear skies from 12am till 6am - so went to bed early

and awoke at 12.15am YIPPEE! - grabbed my binos and tripod and off I drove to the nearest dark site I have near me (an old Airfield about 5 mins away)

Anyway managed to find the double cluster NGC884 and NGC869 by accident after looking for M32 :)

Think in future I will need to give myself a mission to find something new each time, also of course need to know more constellations.

Saw 2 shooting stars! very quick maybe 1/4 or an 1/8th of a second.

Confused myself with finding Castor and Pollux, and got totally cofused?? I was thinking why is it over by the South? Just checked Stellarium now and I am sure it was Spica and Saturn :o

Lesson learnt there - always get really close and double check!! Shame to miss saturn and didnt resolve it. Tempted to quickly go set up outside the front of my house and see it [Yes - Saw Titan and the 2 mag 8 moons - loads of light pollution here and no dark adpated eyes]

Found Leo and the Hydra constellations - very distinctive.

So not a bad night. Spent about an hour and a half outside, got cold even though I was wrapped up well! next time Thermals and Coffee :)

Also a thought also need a Red flashlight and to bring star maps :)

Archived