SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Hunt

carpman

I finally got a few descent viewing hours last night , london smog cleared for a while so setup scope polar aligned fairly quick with the use of polar finder great , scope wont take long to cool as its kept in my shed ...

Right where to start i'm thinking quite excited with having a clear sky ok quick butchers at jupiter ( check dec and ra just to see how close there are they're v close i know they are mostly cosmetic ) I tried a bit of A-focal with point and shoot cam but Pics came out rubbish then got called for me Dinner sod it ( i know wot your all thinking it clouded over before i got back out :) ) well your wrong it was still clear :) right grab my laptop and start stellarium up the garden i go "its freezing"

I decide to try and look for the horsehead have tried before and not seen it , still no joy i tried all different combi's of eps (i'm beginning to wonder can it be viewed visually) ok where to now right back to lappy

Next i check round orion to see where to go , right i'm off to have a look at m42 again to see if i can see it any better than on my first visit , yeap defo better viewing can see loads more tonight head north to check out ngc 2169 ok its not bad but the most important thing is i found it right west to pleiades found that straight now thats a lovely sight bundles of start i could even make it out in my finder scope ok times gettiing on and i'm freezing back to lappy for final time lets see if i can find Andromeda go slew round to rought area cant see it double check my position with naked eye ( yeah looks about right ) but still cant see change ep combis see if it makes a differance nah cant find it and then i spot what looks like a small cotton wool ball i thinks thats it but i'm a little disappointed with the view checked out dif combo again not much better still no detail (After checking 12dstring fov calc tonight i dont thing it was ...) , right i one look at pleaides then i'm off indoors cant get over what a lovely sight that was .

ps i must say that after i had found the above i checked/cross referenced with setting circles and they were about right maybe not spot on but they were close enough to be able to get me in the right manor

Don't know what kind of scope you are using but I believe the horsehead nebula is mainly a photo only target.

The 'cotton wool ball' could be Andromeda :) or more specifically the core of Andromeda, in my 100mm refractor under dark skies I can make out a fainter much larger patch around the core, too big to fit into the view at 45x. I think you need more like 8"+ to see any more detail on it.

I find the setting circles on my CG-5 mount are accurate enough to get the object I am looking for somewhere in the view finder, I use them all the time.

HTH

Archived