Decisions decisions

Okay then, first "real" post in the forum! I decided some time ago to buy a telescope and I'm only just getting round to it (last year my chosen hobby was DSLR's and I certainly haven't wasted the setup costs, so I can now trust myself with another purchase!!). I can find my way across the night sky unaided and have recently got into taking lunar photos with a canon 55-250 lens.

I was originally looking towards buying a Skywatcher 150P with EQ3-2 as it would give me the option of adding a motor as a separate cost and would then allow me to attach the DSLR to combine hobbies (or maybe get a webcam, either way). I am primarily interested in planetary observations but double stars and some of the easier to spot DSO's also interest me.

However, one thing that is very important to me is portability, I want to be able to take this to Devon with me a few times a year and it will need to travel in a car complete with our luggage and that of my 4 year old. With that in mind I was starting to wonder if the 150P is going to be too big afterall (the PL is definitely out). I was therefore starting to think a Maksutov would be more suitable, perhaps a Skymax 127 with SupaTrak or EQ3-2 (not sure about GOTO, think it might remove some of the fun).

What are thoughts on these models (or others) when taking portability into account? How easy is it to transport a 150P with mount? I'm struggling to find sites with tube dimensions on them to get an idea how long they actually are (I know the 127 is around 40cm).

Budget is around £250-350, so happy for any other suggestions!

Hi,

First things first, welcome.

Difficult to say what you can get in your car without knowing the car.

But the SW 150P is about 28" long and fits nicely in a cricket bag wrapped in bubble wrap. I don't know the weight, but easily handled. The tripod is 32" long when folded and about 6" across. To this you need to add the mount which is the heaviest part of the set up but doesn't take up much space. Then an odd corner for the counter weights EPs and other bits and bobs.

HTH

All the best

Alan.

Archived