NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

No Going Back

I seem to have had a post frenzy tonight, seeing as I've been here for three years but had vey few posts.

Anyway lets get to the point.

I recentley bought two Hyperion eyepieces from members of this forum, a 13mm and a 24mm. Thanks guys.

Well tonight I gave them both there first proper workout and having only used Meade 4000 series Plossl's and one very old type one 9mm Nagler, for the past six years, I feel I can't go back to the plossl's.

As I have mentioned in another post the seeing was not good here tonight, although the sky was very clear. But after aligning and starting my viewing tonight, with my LX200, I slewed to Jupiter and viewed with my 18mm meade super wide and noticed how bad the seeing was. So I tried the Orion Nebula next and was begining to think my telescope was in need of collimaing because I had never seen it so faint.

I was about to collimate but instead decided to try one of the newly bought hyperions and how glad I was I did. I chose the 13mm and the view was fantastic and even better with a O III filter. I had always liked the views I got with my meade 12.4mm series 4000 super plossl but there is no way I'm going back.

I was hoping to get a similar view of M45 with the 24mm Hyperion but I think I will need to use either the 6.3 focal reducer or to use the eyepiece in my ED80 to get the same wow factor. With the seeing being as bad as it was, and 2 rottles of wine chilling, I called it a night.

My conclusion of the night is I need more Hyperions, particularly the 31mm.

I want all of them.

I think the BH 13mm will be my first non-bundled eyepiece for my A80Mf.

I've had several recommendations of BH and looking at the FOV provided by someone's calculator, it looks like it will be a good match. I have the bundled 21mm and 6mm. The 6mm is good but I feel that the optics aren't as bright as they could be (the A80Mf is probably a contributor but it's done a stirling job so far). The 6mm is just a little too zoomed for some targets.

Archived