NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heavy Condensation on Telescope

I have a Skywatcher 150P reflector, mostly metal and plastic, and since we've been having a rather cold, clear spell recently I've been taking it out almost every night. However, after around an hour it is always FULL of condensation, and I'm slightly worried it might damage bits of it. Is my worry well founded or is the water harmless?

Thanks!

It wont do any harm - I have been out when my scope looks likes its been put under a running tap.

Take the scope indoors afterwards and lay it on its side, just leave the room temp to dry it out.

All scopes get wet under dew conditions - its just one of those things. They are mostly made of aluminium and plastic so pretty impervious to moisture.

The few steel parts are usually screws and bolts and if any of these corrodes that can be changed easy enough. All of my stuff has screws and fitting sthat are either stainless or anodised so its fairly resistant to the elements.

Archived