NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkyWatcher 130p/EQ2 Questions

Hi all

Since joining a few weeks ago I've done a huge amount of reading on here - What a great place!!!

The thing is... I still seem to have a few questions and also one particular problem that I would like advice on so I thought I'd start a thread.

I also thought that as it seems many new members have bought the same scope as me this could be a good place for anyone to post their own questions as well as mine.

Here's my questions and thanks in advance for any replies. Keep in mind I had to stretch my budget to get this telescope and so any new purchases will have the same constraints.

Cheers

Rich

Balancing:

Is it right that the tube seems quite far up in the mount? ie. the Skywatcher logo is obscured by the bottom tube ring. After a few attempts the balance seems correct because whatever position i put it in, there is no movement with both locks loosened.

I also found that I had to twist the tube so that the eyepiece aligned with the counterweight when pointing directly north if I didn't do this then at certain angles the whole scope would 'rotate' very slowly when positioning it in some positions in the sky. Almost like the eyepiece was 'pulling' in the other direction. (I hope that makes sense!!!)

Eyepieces:

I've read quite few threads and noticed that the general opinion is that the supplied eyepieces are not that brilliant. Ditto for the 2x Barlow.

This interests me greatly because even with the supplied stuff, I have been amazed at what I can see. So far - great close up views of the moon and also fantastic views of Jupiter plus Saturn (even though that was very small and fuzzy I could see the rings)

So... Where do I go from here?

I've read about Tal barlows - They fit my budget and seem great value (£35.74) but I can buy a x2 or a x3. So I really would like to know if a x3 is too much for my scope but i like the concept of seeing things as big as I possibly can.

Which obviously brings me to eyepieces. This is where I am getting really lost in all the info.

I'm not looking do astrophotography - just purely visual stuff that includes the planets, the moon and hopefully Orion. So what would be the best bet?

Lastly... Am I right in thinking that in the future I could buy dovetail fittings for my tube and upgrade my mount/tripod to an AZ GOTO that I believe Skywatcher sell seperately?

All in all. Many thanks in advance and please add any other questions or comments if you are a new 130P owner like me.

Rich

Also... one other question that I just thought of.

I live in NE London so there is a huge amount of light pollution in my back garden. I can manouver myself so that I minimise it but I wondered if I should buy any light pollution filters aswell as the above.

Cheers

Rich

Hi,

Answers to your questions....

Balance point - yes I recall on mine that the rear tube ring slightly obscured the Skywatcher logo so you are probably ok on that score. Obviously the balance point can change if you put a heavier eyepiece in.

Eyepiece positioning - yes - with a Newtonian scope on an EQ mount as the scope rotates around the sky the eyepiece can end up at weird angles. Its perfectly ok to loosen the tube rings and rotate the scope. On bigger/heavier scopes you quite often need an extra ring above the top ring which acts as a reatining ring to allow the scope rings to be slackened off and the tube rotated. You need this on a bigger scope very often as there is a great danger the scope can slide out of its rings when you slacken them.

Obviously a small scope can just as readily slip its rings too but theres a big difference in weight, bulk etc between a 130 and say a 250 sized scope.

Eyepieces - lots of people do bitch about the EPs that come with Skywatcher scopes but I never found them that bad. They are not the greatest by any means but they are pretty acceptable in a scope like the 130 to get started with.

You woould howvere see a real difference using something like a Vixen NPL PLossl which would only be around the £30 mark - so you dont have to spend a fortune.

With your scope - depending what you want to look at I would suggest a Vixen NPL PLossl of around 32mm for wide angle views and perhaps one at 15mm for mid power. For high power viewing the latest fad is the TMB Planetary IIs which are reputed to be very good and cost around £40.

I cant advise on the Barlow as I very seldom use one. From memory the basic skywatcher one isnt bad but I dislike Barlows anyway.

Light pollution filters - they are very dependent on what sort of street lighting you have. Where I live its a complete soup of light pollution and no filter yet made is ever going to help much. Some people find them useful, others not - its as much to do with your expectations and what kind of street lighting is being used as anything else.

Hope thats of some help

Hi all

Balancing:

Is it right that the tube seems quite far up in the mount? ie. the Skywatcher logo is obscured by the bottom tube ring. After a few attempts the balance seems correct because whatever position i put it in, there is no movement with both locks loosened.

Rich

Hello Rich,

I bought the same scope just after christmas and I have noticed the balancing is the same as you said so I don't think you are doing anything wrong. (it covers the "Sky" part on my logo, and the counter weights are about half way up the bar.

I have been very pleased with the views with it, although how much detail did you get with Jupiter? I haven't had chance to view Saturn yet!

I bought a light pollution reduction filter from FLO when I bought my scope and it does make a lot of difference for me. I can see the orange tinge disapear when I use it. I have the very orange type of street lights around here, and I heard that this filter would work well on them.

Let me know which eyepieces you do go for in the end, as I would like to know what difference you see.

Cheers,

Tom

If you position the tube in its rings with the EP adjuster facing down and about 5 degrees to the west when facing north. With the use of the star diagnal you will be able to view in virtually any position the scope is pointing. Down nd slightly left when facing North :)

Archived