Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widefield Photography

I have a great intrest in doing widefield...but confused about mounts which track. now i know about the EQ6 PRO GOTO and most people reccommend it for stabilty and future proofing.

I've read over and over again about this mount...but what about the

Skywatcher EQ3 PRO Synscan GOTO/EQ5 PRO GOTO/HEQ5 Syntrek surely there just as good? at one time these were the mounts people was using for imaging...until the EQ6 PRO came along, as the title says...what mount is suitable for tracking for widefield?

My choice of telescope for this is...Equinox 80 APO PRO OTA purely for widefield photography, and im looking for suitable mount for it and im totaly overwhelmed by the confusion of mounts and there tracking abilities and stabilites and so on :evil1:

just a simple setup im looking for that works...any ideas on a mount?

Not sure I would class imaging with an ED80 as "widefield", I would say "widefield" is 300mm focal length or less.

Minimum I would go for is the HEQ5, you want enough payload to add a camera, guidescope and guide camera and still be within about 50% of recommended maximum payload IMHO. I believe the EQ3 pro has an autoguide port but it's a fairly lightweight mount. You can't have enough mount in imaging.

The EQ3 Pro has a guide port with "issues" ... still waiting for a fix for it... I have used it unguided up to 180mm with 4 min exposures PA'd just using the built in polar scope...

Bought it as my portable widefileld/starparty mount as its about the only thing that will fit in the car :)

Billy...

Archived