Newcomers Feedback - scope advice needed

Welcome to SGL! I've copied your question here twinkles so that you get more advice. It would be good if you could give a few more details about what you want to see, what your budget it, what your location is etc, that way people can give you advice tailored for your circumstances/preferances.

Helen

I haven't a clue what I'm doing!

I am new to astronomy and would very much appreciate advice on what telescope I should purchase...

Welcome,

To be honest it's a tough question without knowing what you are expecting to get out of the hobby, or what your budget is. There are also other things like portability or storage you might need to consider.

If you look through similar posts in this section you'll see that the Skywatcher 130P often suggested. Personally I've not experienced this scope so can't tell you how it performs, but they seem highly recommended. If you have up to £1000 to spend than that's a different proposition and you can end up with some serious bits of kit :)

Let us know what you want to see, how much money you wish to spend and what functions (like letting the scope find you the opjects - called goto - or if you wish to do visual or photograph what you see)

Archived