the next scope

hi all

I am new to the forum and have been reading all the excellent posts.

I have been interested in astronomy for many years. I had a Kay's catalog Tasco refractor scope when I was younger. It was a bit pants but even it could show great images of planets and the moon etc.

A few years ago I got a Meade ETX90EC. It's a great scope but I don't have a polar aligned tripod for it. I think I would like to upgrade anyway to a better scope as I was spurred on by taking some picture with the ETX and a philips web cam.

Picasa Web Albums - Minburner wahee - astrophotography#

These are not great but I enjoyed taking them. I have an upper limit of £1000 and was after a good all round scope with GOTO tracking if possible. The skywatcher scopes seems good. I was even looking at the 12" meade dobs as they good value for money, although they don't have tracking. I am getting a bit confused now and any help would be most appreciated.

:)

If its photography thats your aim your first priority should be the mount I would suggest this one Skywatcher - Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan then perhaps this but there may be better options but this will be good for dslr work Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P DS OTA and that is most of your budget i'm afraid most importantly welcome to sgl

if its primarily photography then the mount is the most important thing apparture is not as essential, lots of people image with an 80mm refractor but thats way roo small to be much good as a visual instrument the 150 is a good compromise. but it is only that. there are much better visual scopes and much better imaging scope. this one will do both. unfortunately there is no one telescope that is a jack of all trades and a master but this will do most things.

I think if I go Skywatcher, I will definately get that HEQ5 mount.

I was looking at the Skywatcher Skymax 180PRO OTA. It's a bit more expensive. I then started looking at the Celestron and meade higher end scopes. Celestron NexStar 8 SE. This seems nice but the mount looks flimsy. Again thanks for your help

I have decided to get a Skyliner Dob for general viewing and DSO's, which the ETX is poor at. and a seperate decent mount. I can use the mount with my etx90 (even roughly) in the meantime and get a better OTA when more funds become available. Does this sound like a plan

Archived