Adaptor help

sammy1404

Hi guys this is my first post in the imaging section

I have just ordered a t ring and adaptor for my canon eos 7d. I know how to assemble it but i was wandering how does it actually work. Surely taking away the eyepiece means that you cant actually get any magnification? Also do they work on all scopes or does it have to be a certain type?

thanks

I have just ordered similar stuff for my Canon 450D. As far as i know, by removing the EP from the scope and attaching the camera.................the whole telescope effectively becomes a camera lens. So if your scope has a focal length of 1000mm then you have a telephoto "zoom" lens of 1000mm. Thats where the magnification comes from.

Think of it this way: i have a 300mm lens for my Canon 450D. It gives me amazing magnification. So if i hook my 1000mm telescope up to the same camera......................i am increasing the magnification by just over 3 times what my standard camera zoom lens gives. Also the aperture of the scope is going to be larger then the aperture of the camera so more light is being gathered and cameras as FANTASTIC at picking up light onto the sensor.

The work best on refractors and on reflectors that are on EQ mounts. Astro imaging doesnt work as well on Dobs because they are manual Alt/Az. You have to manually track objects by moving the scope up/down/left/right.

I'm sure you will be able to take short exposures of objects. Maybe 5-10 seconds. If you take enough of these then you can use a program called Deep Space Stacker to stack all the images into one final image and the result will be significantly better.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to correct me or mention something i have missed. I am just about to cross over to the dark side also.

If you take MANY images of a nebula and stack them into a single image then you will get some colour.

The full colour images you see here and elsewhere take HOURS of processing on a computer after the image is taken.

The more images you take and stack................the more colour/detail comes out.

Archived