how to take pics through telescope

Hi there all im new to this and want to buy a good telescope i would like to take pics though it do i need a special scope or camera. Can anybody tell me of a good telescope and how to take pics my price range is about 3 to 4 hundred please help

Regards Andy

Hello Andy, I too am very new at this astro photography malarky and from reading lots on this forum it seems the best advice around is to buy this book:-

Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

I did and it answered all my questions. Has all the equipement lists and step by step instructions on how to do it all.

Have fun

Hello andy welcome to the site, as has been ponted out different objects require different eqiupment.to get some pretty decent pics of the moon, all you need is a steady telescope and to hold a camera to the eyepiece, this is called afocal imaging, to get some good pics of the planets all you need is a webcam a steady scope and some free stacking software, however to take the most spectacular pics. well this is where the money come in, here the most important thing is the mount, it must be rock solid able to track accurately capable of guiding if you wish to do long exposures, (you will need to for many dso) these kind of mounts are expensive, and complex. anyway let us know what you are interested in and we wil endeavour to give you good advice. again welcome to sgl

I would like to use a webcam to take pictures, I have a Microsoft Lifecam and the thread appears to ne about 9mm. All that I have found so far refer to thread size of 12.5 mm. Are there any adapters out there, or will I need a different webcam?

Any advice welcomed, thanks.

hello sbjinx welcome to the site. this webcam is better suited for imaging as you can see its cheap and you can buy thre adaptors there as well Cheap Philips SPC880 webcam - 49269 - discounts & offers its nice to see a new face but may I suggest you post your question seperately next time. No offence meant its just that more people will read it and answer a new question. if a different poster puts a question in someone elses post it sometimes doen't get read by everyone. as I said no offence meant, you are very welcome to sgl and I look forward to hearing from you again

Archived