NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another set of first for me

todd8137

HI to every one well tonight was another great night 9 1 2011,set the dob up around 17:30 and there was a little cloud,tea in hand at around 18:20 a took my first look of the night jupiter was in a clear part

Jupiter

this was a great view tonight with the 10mm ep i could see 3 clear bands and all 4 moons with no trouble drew a pic which a will post to my pics after a while a put a blue filter 82a in and one of the the bands about a quarter of the way from the bottom really caught my eye this time i then drew a quick sketch and moved on

Orion

i waited about 19:20 to view this again i looked at the great neb and m43 drew a quick pic i had a great view the dust and gas was really bright i hd no probs pic in 4 stars out in the centre that were in a little group,above that was a group of 3 almost in a line around the edges of the great neb there was lots of stars,at around 23:40 i looked again this time with 0III filter and orion was high in the south i could see even more detail in the great neb and m43 with all its trapezium was easy to spot and all its doubles a wish a had more knowledge to tell you about the rest but that will come with time also there ws a bout 5 shootin stars just to the left of orion which made me jump more than once

Taurus

at around 12:00 i spun to aldebaran which was a orange/red color tauri the doubles were visible to my eye they were great lots of groups around them as well m1 was not there or a missed it the doubles if never seen before were just thing a did not expect at all the amount of stars around the double was crazy

Pleiades

m45 was easy 5 stars visible with the naked eye with 20mm ep a could look around and see lots with in this group the 7 sisters were easy to spot it was all the little ones in and amongst this lot that was great for me and try in to spot them

AURIGA

capella was nice but for just above elnath were a double and a few other little stars

i did have a look for Andromeda m31 but yet again my lack of knowledge let me down again ursa major mizar and alcor were good i found it east to separate them m97 was not to be seen at all not even a smudge no m81/82 either but plenty of doubles just above were they should have been use indubhe as a pointer up were lots of doubles a very frosty and cold night and a was freeze in at the end a came in the house wiped the dob dry put every thing a way and went to bed very happy

thanks pat

ps my lack of knowledge as let me down the things a seen tonight would have made a man weep home work is the key for me

a did a fre drawings that are in my pics on profile

sorry here they are, http://stargazerslounge.com/members/todd8137-albums-sketchs.html

Archived