Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar 4SE and EOS 30D Problem

Pelyma

Hi I'm hoping you can help me. My son has a Nexstar 4SE telescope and has bought the bits to mount his Canon EOS 30D camera on it. However we have found that the camera is too heavy for the mount so it sags. I've searched for a solution on the web but can't find one. Is there any thing that can be done beyond propping the camera with a tripod?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i have the 20Da and 50D (same body shells - so similar weight i guess). The only suggestions i can make are...

a) no battery grips or unnecessary accessories attached to body - just a wireless remote possibly.

:) slacken off the knurled knob that fixes the scopes tube to the mount arm, slide the tube forward - towards the sky, if you like - as much as you feel is still secure, and retighten the knob. This should help counterbalance the camera as much as poss.

I've also been tempted to add a counterweight to the front end of the scopes tube somehow - but haven't needed to yet, because a) and :) seem to be ok so far. If it comes to it tho it will probably involve cereal boxes, eggcrate and sticky back plastic - lol.

Let me know how you get on. regards Gaz

Archived