Which celestron scope: Omni XLT 102ED or Omni XLT 120?

Advice please...

What would be the best scope to buy between a Celestron Omni XLT 102 ED (with 900 mm focal length) or the larger Celestron Omni XLT 120 (with 1000 mm focal length but without the ED lens)?

I'm not sure about the real term benefits of an ED lens.

If anyone is using either of these scopes could you please give a report on their performance?

Many thanks

Normally I'd always suggest extra aperture but in this case I think the ED would be the better bet although both are good scopes. The non-ED 120 does show some chromatic abberation around brighter objects (as you would expect an F/8.3 acrhomat to do) wheras the ED102 is virtually CA-free, visually at least. CA does rob the image of a little detail and contrast IMHO.

The ED102 is a lot lighter and therefore will be more stable on it's mount than the 120.

Thats just my views - I have owned both scopes (or the Skywatcher equivalents of them at least).

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I've read a lot that with a 4" refractor that there is really a lot to see in the night sky. Obviously I don't expect to see images as we see in books or online, but what can I really expect to see?

How much plantary detail am I likely to see?

Am I likely to see any nebulae or other DSOs clearly?

Many thanks

Archived