Celestron C6 SCT XLT.......Thoughts?

Wanting to get a different scope, recommended above, on EQ5 motor goto synscan? i think.

My wants/wishes are to view/photo, planets etc and maybe nebulars etc, which i am told this will do, and was refered to celestrons website to see the photos, but being burnt once, am twice shy, so came here for any advise/thoughts/comments.

I am using this set up for visual planet at the moment. My EQ5 do not have Synscan, so I can't comment on pointing and tracking accuracy.

The C6 is a very nice scope and hold collimation very well. I have yet to try it for imaging because my EQ5 with box aluminium tripod cannot handle a side by side C6 and 80mm. (approx 10kg)

For planets, I've use the C6 + EQ5 up to 150x with vibration damp out in 1-2 seconds. I expect the newer steel tripod version, to do even better.

The steel tripod has round legs, the aluminium one has 3 section box. New EQ5 will have steel legs.

The Celestron CG5 GT is identical to a EQ5 synscan. The CG5 is a EQ5 with Celestron's badge, and Synscan is re-badged Nexstar. Skywatcher is the trading name of Synta, who also owns Celestron.

Celestron and Skywatcher tends to quote their mount in visual load capacity which is often much higher than the photographic load capacity. As a reference, EQ5 is a clone of the Vixen GP mount which has a photo load capacity of 7kg. An EQ5 have no problem handling planetary imaging with a C6.

My load capacity problem came from guiding for DSO imaging. My 80mm weight nearly as much as my C6. The combine weight of 2 scopes and cameras is a bit too much for my alu tripod EQ5.

Hi Shaun,

I have the skywatcher 150mm Maksutov, probably about the same size as the Celestron C6. It came on an EQ3-2 which was never beefy enough. I changed the mount to the CG5-GT and what a difference! It is quoted as having a sturdier tripod than the eq5 and better bearings but never having used the former I have no comparison. As far as the GOTO functionality, a 2 star alignment and a couple of more to tweek it closer and everything I choose is pretty much in the centre of the FOV. One note of caution. If you are using this in a built up area, the CG5 is deemed noisier on fast slew than the skywatcher mounts. FLO have this mount on special offer at the moment.Clearance / Pre-Owned - Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO

Thanks NessieHunter

We sound alike "Boundless enthusiasm countered by no idea"

A nice area for viewing Highlands, or does the weather detract!

Noise on the goto's, is it really noisy, i just thought it would be fairly quiet.

We have neighbours, unfortunately, and they have young children, would it disturb?

standard semi detached situation.

Shaun

I was going to say the cg5 and eq5 are not identical but they are similar the cg5 has bearings in both axis stronger legs and a different software I think it also uses servo motors rather than steppers which is why its louder at full slew and faster a friend who has had both swears alignment is easier on the celestron

If you can afford it, just go for the HEQ5.

CG5, EQ5 and GP is in the same class, HEQ5 is one up. While EQ5 is a good for visual observation and basic astrophotgraphy, HEQ5 is what many consider the minimum mount required for astrphotography. I think HEQ5 is in the same class as Sphinx, GM8 and GPDX/D2.

I think C6 is about the largest SCT an EQ5 can handle well, so I'd suggest getting a HEQ5 then you don't have to upgrade your mount when you want a larger OTA.

HEQ5 is a down sized EQ6 and it is not related to the EQ5. They called it HEQ5 because they ran out of number between EQ5 and EQ6.

Archived