NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cleaning Secondary Mirror

So today I decided to clean my mirrors of the telescope. The primary mirror is cleaned but I have trouble with the secondary. The screws will not move, its probably because they've never been touched since the early 90's. Anyway I can't do the cleaning like I did with the primary so I'll have to use a glass cleaner. The glass cleaner I have is called Sprayway. It is Ammonia free. It contains Water, Butoxyethanol, Ethyl Alcohol, Methanol, n-Butane, and Propane.

I'll use one of my clean T-shirts to clean with. Will the spray be fine to use on the mirror?

I would not do that if I were you - what did you clean the primary with ?.

I've only ever used distilled water and 100% pure cotton wool with virtually no pressure, on the one occasion when I've needed to clean the mirrors of a scope - its so easy to create micro scratches and I'm sure a t-shirt / glass cleaner approach is not a good way to do it.

Not trying to be difficult - just advising caution :eek:

Archived