Celestron GT mount PC cables ????

Hi Everyone

Help needed!!

I have a CG5-GT mount and was looking to get a RS232 cable for operating the mount with stellarium and updating firmware. Do I require 2 different cables or dose the one cable do both. Having searched for one I have found 2 different types :( and the total cost would mean I need to choose one or the other.

SPACEBOY

Although rs232 is a standard, it may require different pinouts for control and firmware update as these are two different functions. Best to check the Celestron website and Stellarium support to confirm what you need for this. Or give FLO a ring for advice.

Celestron NextRemote control software isn't bad though - run alongside Stellarium you can just key in the Stellarium object to NextRemote all at the computer. Although your idea is slicker, I didn't see the need to bother. You'll allways want the firmware upgrade cable though. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I decided to make my own in the end.

I purchased a D-Range 9 way Skt (RS-232) & hood from Maplin for £3.20 and had an old modem cable from my dial up days for the cable and FCC 4 way Modular jack. I found this site with wiring references depending on handset model Telescope Interface Cables and soldered the connections as necessary. ( May be possible with out a soldering iron to push the cable doubled over in to the connections)

A 5mtr interface cable for £3.20 **and I got a USB to RS-232 Serial 9 Pin DB9 Adaptor Converter Cable on eBay (end time 24-Jan-11 04:04:43 GMT) D9 to USB converter for £2 to use on my laptop as it doesn't have a D9 outlet.**

Hope this helps if anyone was thinking of getting one. Most of us have old modem dial up cables lying around in the back of draws. The cheapest I could find from astronomy shops was a 3mtr cable for £10 and a D9-USB was also £10 (neither of which are Celestron brand). I should now be able to use stellarium to find what I want to see and depending on handset version, Firmware updates can also be installed.

SPACEBOY

**EDIT: Unless you are more IT minded I was unable to get a D9 (RS232) to USB converter lead to communicate between stellarium 10.5 & my handset. Fortunetally it appears I do have a com port on my laptop so it was just a case of removing the USB converter. Also please note the modular plug is a FCC 4-4 Jack, these are usually found on a telephone handset cable (often curly) which plugs in to the telephone base and not the larger FCC 6-4 type found on some broadband Ethernet leads.

Archived