Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Polution Petition

umadog

I'm unfamiliar with the details of the various bodies etc, being UK based, can someone more in the know fill in the who's who on this, it appears very serious and I'd like to sign, but as a professional electrical and electronics engineer I feel I must know exactly what it is I'm signing here.

DErek

That's what I thought when I read the first bit, but later sections appear to be related to conflict of interest with the lighting industry. The section on uplight and lumen allowances seem reasonable. I too would like to see the other side, however. There are comments up there which you can read.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

I would once again encourage people to sign this. It may be US-centric but could well have global implications and others from non-US countries are signing. Additionally, we should show solidarity.

The disagreement alluded to by Jullian reflects the fact that the lighting industry wants to make things brighter and the astronomers oppose that. There's all sorts of politics going on which I don't understand, but that's the bottom line. The "other side of the argument" is not one we want to support. For instance, the lighting industry wants no restrictions on bright blue/white LEDs. These will produce *3 times as much sky glow*, partly due to the colour of the light and partly because they'll be so bright they that they can't be effectively shielded. If you don't like the sound if that, please sign the petition.

http://docs.darksky.org/Reports/IDA-Blue-Rich-Light-White-Paper.pdf

http://docs.darksky.org/Nightscape/Article_SeeingBlue.pdf

It wont let me :D

I get this error Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at E:\hshome\sphosted\fixthemlo.org\MySQL.php:121) in E:\hshome\sphosted\fixthemlo.org\signpetition.php on line 119

Archived