The Backyard Astronomer's Guide

rabbithutch

First impressions of the book, The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, by Dickinson and Dyer.

I purchased, used, the 1999 edition of this volume. It came in the post yesterday. While I can't profess to have read it yet, I gave it's contents a good scan last evening and was most impressed. Unlike many authors, these two don't mind taking a position and stating an opinion. I really like that. They cover equipment selection quite well, but their material is a bit dated in this edition (in case anyone wants it for the latest model information). They cover binoculars, refractor, Newtonian (including dob mounts) and Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes very, very well. They also describe eyepieces quite well, too. There is a good primer on observing with many good tips.

While I must give this tome much more time and attention before doing it justice, I can say that my only disappointment thus far is the dearth of information regarding mounts. Otherwise, I believe this to be one of the best works on the subject of astronomy as a hobby.

I am always a bit weary of astronomy books that were written so long ago. But thanks for the review of this book. And a telescope isn't going to have changed in basic principle in the last 10 years. Let us know if you still like it once you have read it.

I got bought the latest addition of Backyard Astronomer for my birthday and it is the best pratical book for the amateur astronomer

I have come across. Well worth getting.

Yes, the 3rd edition has just been released this year, reprinted and updated.

Much of the updates are centred on astrophotography. They`ve also (finally) included more detailed instructions on star-testing and collimation (but in my humble opinion, Astro Baby`s instructions on collimation are the most thorough I`ve ever read).

Nightwatch, by Terrence Dickinson, is like our astronomy bible here in Canada, and although there have been many editions, most of the information in older editions is still useful. It`s a very good book for beginners.

Archived