Which Lense?

Hello all, I have a question i need to ask yall due to my lack of experience and knowledge. I am a absolute beginner in astronomy, but always had a interest for it. So since i am on a short vacation for a bit i purchased my first scope, which i know isnt the Hubble but its the Celestron Travel Scope 70. I bought it for about 70 dollars, once more i know its not a Hubble haha. But my question is which lense should or do i use Idk i am unknowledged in this area so i will list its specs. so please tell me what you can.

Optical Design :

Refractor

Aperture :

70 mm (2.76 in)

Focal Length :

400 mm (15.75 in)

Focal Ratio :

Eyepiece 1 :

20 mm (0.79 in)

Magnification 1 :

20 x

Eyepiece 2 :

10 mm (0.39 in)

Magnification 2 :

40 x

Finderscope :

5x24

The simple answer is all of them.

Each lens will give you a different magnification. The 20mm will give you less magnification than the 10mm.

Best thing to do is during the day set up the scope and point it at say a tree or house focus the image note what you can see in the view then swap lenses refocus and compare the view you get with each eyepiece.

Dave...

Do you mean which Eyepiece should you use? You get two - the 20mm will give you a wider view. Start by looking through the finder scope to locate the object you are intersted in looking at (eg, the moon) then look through the 20mm eyepiece to centre on what you are looking at. If you decide you want to view bigger/closer then swap to the 10mm eyepiece to "zoom in". You can also buy any number of extra eyepieces, but start with what you have to decide if you want to go wider, or even more zoomed in. While the temptation is to zoom zoom zoom, you often find the views much nicer with a wider eyepiece. Hope that makes sense!

Do you mean which Eyepiece should you use? You get two - the 20mm will give you a wider view. Start by looking through the finder scope to locate the object you are intersted in looking at (eg, the moon) then look through the 20mm eyepiece to centre on what you are looking at. If you decide you want to view bigger/closer then swap to the 10mm eyepiece to "zoom in". You can also buy any number of extra eyepieces, but start with what you have to decide if you want to go wider, or even more zoomed in. While the temptation is to zoom zoom zoom, you often find the views much nicer with a wider eyepiece. Hope that makes sense!

Yea makes sense, and just being curious with the specs and what not listed, what do u think i would be able to see with it? what i mean is for example moon craters, saturn, etc etc??

Start with the 20 to have a wider field of view so hopefully get whatever you want in the field of view, then when centered put the 10mm in for a bit more magnification.

Don't move the scope when swapping epieces and objects disapper out of the scope fast.

Getting things in the field of view isn't as easy as point in the general area that you want and expecting it to appear in view.

Don't start with the 10mm, you won't find anything.

I don't know that scope but from the specs you should at least see bright objects like the moon,venus, jupiter, saturn and some of the brighter deppsky objects like M42 (Great nebula in orion), Andromeda galaxy etc.

With the moon. Through your 20mm eyepiece you should fill you view with the whole moon. With the 10mm you will see a portion of the moon but bigger. You will be able to see an assortment of craters of various sizes as well as Mares.

With Jupiter and either eyepiece you should be able to see that it's disc and also some of it's moons.

Hope that helps.

Dave...

I don't know that scope but from the specs you should at least see bright objects like the moon,venus, jupiter, saturn and some of the brighter deppsky objects like M42 (Great nebula in orion), Andromeda galaxy etc.

With the moon. Through your 20mm eyepiece you should fill you view with the whole moon. With the 10mm you will see a portion of the moon but bigger. You will be able to see an assortment of craters of various sizes as well as Mares.

With Jupiter and either eyepiece you should be able to see that it's disc and also some of it's moons.

Hope that helps.

Dave...

Exactly the answer i was looking for, thanks alot

Archived