NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another asteroid occultation

Hypernova

Asteroid (348) May will occult an 11.4 magnitude star in Gemini at 23:42 hrs tomorrow (8th). The star to be occulted isn't too far (5 degrees or so) from the large open cluster M35 so it shouldn't be that difficult to locate, if you enter the star's name into Stellarium you will find the exact location fairly easily.

It will be visible across a large strip of land across the Midlands and East Anglia so keep an eye out.

By the time the occultation occurs the star will around 60 degrees up which is good. The weather forecast is also clear in the my area according the BBC so I will old them to that

Asteroids > Occultations

(348) May / TYC 1864-01474-1 event on 2010 Dec 08, 23:42 UT

I recommend you download Occult Watcher for future predictions of asteroid occultations, it's a really neat bit of software.

Occult Watcher

Well done for observing this. I still haven't caught up with one. Did you take any timings? Just wondered as I want to have a go at this and be able to make a serious contribution.

I am on the edge of a potential occultation of a 10th magnitude star in Gemini by asteroid Minerva at 6.26 tomorrow morning (10th Dec). Unfortunately, just realised that at that time Gemini is obscured by trees. If anyone else is interested, the path of the occultation runs down the east coast, passing directly over Aberdeen. These are worth observing, as a group of separate observations can determine the size and shape of the object.

Archived