NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scottish Astronomers?

Hi guys,

I live in Glasgow, my back garden is horrendous for light pollution, dunno if you have read any of my earlier posts but i bought a 250px Skywatcher dob, a Rigel and a few books last Jan but havent used any of them to there full potential. Not seen a lot but want too!! Just getting back into it. Got the bug again, thinking about it every day!!! (hope this is normal) lol lol :D :D

Any ideas of dark skys near me? Live near Silverburn.

Any Central Scotland Observers Group guys here? Think id like to come one day

Silverburn - that's Barrhead Road direction isn't it? As a northsider, the southside is a bit of a foreign country! So can't really help you with dark sky sites in your vicinity. However, if you want to learn about the night sky, get help and advice plus access to a professional observatory and a local dark sky site, you want to join the Astronomical Society of Glasgow where you'll meet nice friendly and helpful people like, er, me. We have monthly meetings from September to May, trips to a very dark sky site in Perthshire, use of Glasgow University's observatory and a local dark sky site at Mugdock Country Park. Our website is The Astronomical Society of Glasgow Shameless plug over! Oh, and at least one of our members is a member of the Central Scotland Observers Group. He's a SGL member and goes with the albireo380 handle if you want to PM him.

There sure is, most of us are members of SGL as well as CSOG and you would be more than welcome to come along to an observing session, all the info is here - CSOG Forum - Index :D

We have dark sites scouted out throughout Central Scotland and we have a monthly pre-arranged observing session. As well as last minute sessions when the weather is looking promising.

Cheers

Hi guys,

I live in Glasgow, my back garden is horrendous for light pollution, dunno if you have read any of my earlier posts but i bought a 250px Skywatcher dob, a Rigel and a few books last Jan but havent used any of them to there full potential. Not seen a lot but want too!! Just getting back into it. Got the bug again, thinking about it every day!!! (hope this is normal) lol lol :D :D

Any ideas of dark skys near me? Live near Silverburn.

Hi John,

I am with Scottish Astronomers / CSOG and live near Anniesland in Glasgow, so I know the light pollution you are talking about. I and other CSOG folk use several dark sky sites within 25-35 miles of the City. I think most are also SGL members.

Happy to see you any observing session.

Tom

Thanks guys,

Yeah thats what im going to do, would love to come to the next SCOG meet if ok, not been to a dark site as yet just the garden but recon it will be so much better when i get to use it properly, cant wait!!!

Planning to spend tomorow nite making a setting circle strip as hopeless at finding things, and ordering a Wixey from FLO, found a great post on here by mike-h and been inspired.

Thanks again

Clear skies

Archived