Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best red light source I've ever found

I've tried numerous ways to get a good red light source to read the laptop keyboard and any observing notes whilst out with the telescope at night. Many times I've covered the light source with red film or coloured the bulb with red nail varnish. All have worked to a degree, but I was never really happy with any of them.

I then saw an advert in the newsletter from the Society for Popular Astronomy for a red microlight made by Inova for £7.99 and duly ordered one.

The website link is: http://www.popastro.com/saleslist2.htm

It arrived yesterday, and I have to say it's absolutely brilliant. It has 3 modes, (1) one click gives the full power red beam which is amazing - it's like a full torch beam, very strong, carries considerable distance and ideal for looking over the whole telescope set-up or when you need much broader red light to do things, then (2) two clicks gives you a low power red beam, ideal for typing on the laptop keyboard or reading star maps etc, then (3) three click gives an intermittent red flashing light, probably not much use for an observer, but again mighty impressive red beam which carries for a considerable distance.

The red microlight also comes with a convenient clip that I find ideal for attaching to the top of my laptop or the little table that I work on whilst observing. I think this is a cracking buy for the price.

Archived