goto problems

Been using the goto the last couple of nights but it's always out of line, sometimes just a little sometimes quite a bit.

I think it could be due to a few things, 1-time, does this have to be spot on or would a min or 2 either way be ok?

2-gps location, where do i find the most exact for my location?, i have a skyscout which will show this and i think most be pretty good as it works spot on, always gets the stars/planets correct etc so the gps postion of this must be good, should i use this?.

At the moment i use this site for my gps location

Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

Logically, any variability in performance that you are experiencing within the GOTO system itself which we know to be a 'fixed' system, must be caused by a variable (something that is likely to change) in your set up procedure. Clearly, if the GOTO produced results that were all over the place then logically the GOTO system itself would probably be at fault but you say that sometimes it is ok so it is unlikely to be the electronics.

If you use the scout to find your location and the result is the same each time then this wouldn't produce the 'variable' we are looking for. I use Google Earth to locate where I will be although GOTO doesn't require this level of accuracy. I reckon it is more likely to be something like the levelling of your tripod. It's this sort of error that might explain the hit and miss with accuracy that you are experiencing because it is possible that with this bubble system you might occasionally get it 'spot on' whilst other times when you think its 'on' in fact its just out. I never use any tripod bubble system as I don't feel its accurate and instead I use a digital spirit level. The only other variable might be the power supply which if battery fuelled could also produce variable results, especially with very cold temperatures.

I am assuming to be honest that you have already worked through what I have suggested above. Occasional or variable performance in my experience is usually down to human error, something that we do within the setup procedure that is imprecise but which by chance can provide an occasional precise result. Mechanical problems usually though not exclusively show up as being more consistently or predictably wrong.

Let me know how you get on.

James

I don't know much about skywatcher but I use celestron go to I find that my go to is better with more accurate time when centreing alway use right and up keys (this takes care of backlash) .I have found the more accurately I level the tube the more accurate the go to. if you can take off the mount from the tripod put it onto a surface you know to be level. now raise the tube till its 90 degrees check this with a level on your ota. when its level mark it with some tipex across across mount and ota then when its dark you just line up the 2 marks and you know its level. put the mount back on the tripod. now when you level the mount and line the 2 marks you will know the scope is orthagonal to the horizon. hope it helps (works for nexstar anyway)

Archived