DSLRs (again!)

Hi.

I know this is old ground, so I apologise for boring everyone... but, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of Sony's DSLRs? I've been reading some reviews of the Alpha A200, A230 and A350, and although the A200 and A230 are basic entry-level cameras and not being the best in the world and quite cheap looking, the A350 actually seems OK... or should I stay away from Sony!? :-\

Round and round we go... :-\ lol

Thanks.

Richard.

The A350 has been replaced/upgraded by the A380L which at the moment is around the same price as the Canon 500D. From weeks of research to decide on which DSLR to get it seems the Canon is the one to get and if you want to use it for Astro work then Canon's are better supported, apparently.

I think DSLR for astro work goes: Canon > Nikon > Pentax > Sony/Oly

Ranked by hardware and software support/availability.

Nikon has some problem with their RAW, such as signal cropping and noise reduction, but the Mode 3 would fix latter. Canon and Pentax don't seems to have this problem, but there are a lot more Nikon than Pentax, hence the better support for Nikon than Pentax.

I haven't heard much about how Sony and Oly handle their raw file or for astro in general, may be there are too few people using them to do serious test.

To avoid all the fuss, just choose Canon for astro, and this is from someone who uses Nikon.

Archived