Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen GP convert to synscan help!

My vixen GP is on top of my solid steel pier in my observatory. It is as steady as a rock with my newly acquired 127 Meade apo, ( beautiful images, thanks Coco!) The motors are OK, but I want to convert it to full synscan or similar. My laptop is itching to get going! I have read parts of a previous thread, but I missed some of it, and now I need help. such things as where to get the various components, and any problems if you have already done this, how they were solved. In fact, anything useful greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Phil

Hi Vlad

I had a similar problem recently, but I was going the other way. I was trying to fit a Starbook S onto an EQ5. Mechanically, all components fell in place without problem, so it appeared this GP clone had cloned all the fittings of the original.

However, GOTO and tracking was all over the place when I tested it last night, so there are still a number of bugs to be worked out. I have a feeling the worm ratio on GP and EQ5 may be different, but I will give it a few more test before I can confirm this.

Anyway, best of luck with your upgrade. btw, did you consider the Starbook S?

Keith

Hi,

I have never heard of the starbook S! Perhaps more information on this would be useful. At present I would consider anything that would give me computer control with slewing etc. I would apprecaite a PM on this!

Phil:confused::)

Starbook S (SBS) is Vixen's 'low end' GOTO system, (the high end being the Starbook and Starbook Ten). It was designed for the GP series of mounts, so it should fit yours with no compatibility problem. Unlike the high end models which uses a coloured LCD display, SBS uses a black+ white one, which I considered to be an advantage. Once I got the hang of it, I liked the SBS interface more than my Nexstar's. Also, despite its budget end status, you can set PEC and backlash compensation.

The two drawbacks are software compatibility and price. There are more software out there that will work with Nexstar/Synscan than Starbook, but SBS can support ASCOM via 3rd party drivers. The SBS system costed twice as much as Synscan, but I got mine used, which was much cheaper than a new Synscan upgrade.

Star Book S

Archived