NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Removing a Quickfinder base

I've stuck my Quickfinder base using the self-adhesive foam pads supplied but would now like to move it. The problem is I've had an exploratory pull and the foam pads are stuck fast; I'm worried when I try and remove it the bottom of the pad will remain on the scope. Any ideas please?

They will peel off if you are careful but never seem quite as sticky the 2nd time around. I found some strong double sided sticky pads and replace mine now if I ever have to move the finder - I don't want it falling off the scope mid-observing session !.

If bits of the pad remain stuck to the tube, a little white spirit on them will dissolve the glue quickly.

If the pads are thick enough you could also try cutting them in half with a standing knife. Or at least cut a little on the edge and then pull it off. Then remove the remaining glue and foam with white spirit. Test the white spirit in some hidden corner first to make sure it doesn't take off the paint as well... ;-)

Archived