NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar 100 observing report 12.11.2010

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL1829mm

Cold and windy

Lunation 6.71 days

Illumination 42.8%

Number 38 Sabine and Ritter

This couple form a fantastic pair, very similar in size approximately 19 miles in diameter. I could just make out a split between these two but it is very small indeed maybe just a couple of miles. I could just see Sabine A cut into the SW side of Sabine. Both craters had steep sides and flat floors.

Number 70 Mare Humboldtianum

Quite easy to locate but hard to see any internal details. Mare Humboldtianum is 97 miles in diameter and comes from the Nectarian (From -3.92 billions years to -3.85 billions period of the moons history. Due to its location, the visibility of this feature can be affected by libration, and on occasion it can be hidden from view from Earth. I think that the Mare Humboldtianum is the dark patch I could see just pass Crater Endymion.

You're absolutely right Mick, if you can see a dark streak beyond Endymion it's definitely Mare Humboldtianum, named after explorer and adventurer Alexander von Humboldt (think 'Humboldt Current'). Btw, crater Humboldt on the SE limb is named after his brother Wilhelm.

A bit OT, but if you'd like an excellent read try "Humboldt's Cosmos: Alexander von Humboldt and the Latin American Journey that Changed the Way We See the World ". Many of the men named in the book have lunar craters named after them, i think you'll feel just as home as i did while reading it. In fact, Aimee Bonpland is the person who accompanied Alexander on his journey (crater Bonpland is the lower left in the Fra Mauro trio). Wait till you get to the part about the electric eels... it's unbelievable what von Humboldt and Bonpland put themselves through for the sake of science (think: 'hey Bubba, watch this' :) ).

There's another book entitled "The Humboldt Current" sitting in my book case, but i haven't started it yet.

Archived