NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Making a Crayford silky smooth - suggestions ?

Hi, i have a basic 2" Crayford focuser "purchased second hand" attached to my SW 130 and need suggestions on how to make it operate nice and smooth without slipping.

I have dismantled it and it all seems unworn but when in use it is either jerky or slipping depending on the tension of the adjuster.

Any suggestions on a lubricant for the shaft / bushing which will make it smooth without slipping ?

Thanks.

How to make a CRayford smooth ? Throw it in the bin and buy a Moonlite :)

Seriously its probably down to the flat on the focus drawtube. If this isnt perfectly flat it will play up in the way you describe. The other possible reason is a slightly bent spindle (the bit that the focuser knob is attached to).

It may just be that its engineering isn't very good - do you know who made it originally ? Can you put a pic up ?

I second the idea it may be the drawtube flat bearing surface is not flat enough.

Heres a useful link if you fancy a spot of DIY?

Andy's Shot Glass - tweaking your 100ED drawtube

Best grease i've found for slippery smoothness generally is Finishline bike grease with teflon-It's a bit expensive unless you have other stuff to grease up though

I take it you know where grease can go & where it can't on a Crayford?

I had very similar probs with a GSO SCT crayford and believe me it is worth honing it flat and may I add, once done polish the flat and then rub a little good quality beeswax, making sure any XS is removed. Also worth considering is replacing the shaft with a better quality SS shaft :)

HTH

Archived