NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Newbie Question

Static030

Hey everyone, fairly new to astronomy but very interested in both viewing and photography.

I currently have a Skywatcher 130 on an eq2 mount, and a Canon Rebel XSi. I haven't had much success or much practice yet with anything other than the moon.

The guy at the store I shop at does some amazing astrophotography and he was showing me some images taken with a 135mm lense mounted directly on top of his telescope (don't know the camera or anything).

I should mention that I plan on upgrading to the Skywatcher 200P on the EQ5 or 6 (motorized).

My question is this - does anyone use mirrored lenses for direct shooting of DSO's? There is an amazing lens on EBay - Rokinon 800mm f/8.0. What do you guys think of the idea of shooting images with this set up?

LINK: 800mm Mirror Lens for Canon Digital EOS 7D 5D 50D 40D on eBay.ca (item 360317587563 end time 08-Dec-10 00:42:52 EST)

Thank you,

Nigel

I don't know the lens at all but I think f8 is a bit slow. I'd be inclined to start with something shorter and faster. I'm having a lot of fun at the moment with an 85mm Samyang which is pretty decent to the edge from about f4 upwards.

Olly

Archived