Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galaxies and Electromagnetic Propagation

I originally posted this in the sky-lounge forum but it was suggested I post it here. My background is mainly in electronics and not astronomy, so my astronomy knowledge is somewhat limited.

My hypothesis suggests that a galaxy, because of its structure and composition may act as a metamaterial and can "bend" certain electromagnetic frequencies around it (double negative refraction). This would be somewhat similar to the way a gravitational lens "bends" light around a massive object (though only at certain ELFs). I believe this phenomenon can also be observed.

To be able to verify this hypothesis I need to know some particulars on radio astronomy. What range of frequencies do the radio telescopes operate in, particularly if they can operate below 1Hz. If they can, has there been any recorded observations of this. Any help would be appreciated.

Archived