NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First tentative steps...

Hi,

I'm just starting down the slipper slope of imaging and last night was the first time I managed to get everything working properly, the mount was aligned nicely, and I had my SW 80ED and Canon 450d all ready to go.

To start with I took 8x30sec subs of M52, M39 and M13 (I know I need far more than this but I thought I'd take a few to start with to see if I had the focus right and that the mount tracked okay). I took some images with ISO800 and some with ISO1600 to see the difference.

I've downloaded DSS, but I'm not entirely sure what to do next, do I need to do Darks and flats ?? :)

Also the individual images look quite orange (I guess because of light pollution) so I guess I'll need to go some processing on them at some point.

Any help must welcomed

Just wondering if there are any "beginning imaging" tutorials that someone can point me to as I can't seem to find any.

I'd like some tips on how to reduce light pollution from the image, is it best to use a filter or do this in processing? What are the best settings for DSS? Do I need any other software? Should I be taking the images using RAW? etc, etc?

I found a thread where 1/4000s was recommended for taking bias frames so slowly getting the information I need.

Cheers

Archived