NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it posible to process out Moon Glow?

Earl

Depends on how it appears and how bright it is. I've had some success with Gradient Xterminator in multiple stages. I've done a couple of images where, in the end, it would have been easier to trash it and wait for no moon. The other thing you can try is making a false flat. Good luck, clear skies.

The high background value and attendant loss of contrast are killers but I find PixInsight more effective than Gradient Xterminator for levelling the background. At least when it is level you can pull it down a bit but in the end moon time is Ha time and there you have it. The narrower the passband the merrier. The Baader Ha 7Nm is superb and great value. Personally I go to bed when I see the moon. It makes a nice change!!

Olly

Or you could always try "Learning to Love Luna"....

But for me it was a short term relationship and we have broken up..

HA works well - I only have a Baader 2" Ha filter (the wider bandwidth at 30+ nm ) which I use with the modified cameras or look at some alternative targets - Clusters , Asterisms etc as far away from her as possible...

Peter...

Archived