NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

collimating question

I have just done this to my SW 130p and have adjusted both the primary and secondary mirrors so my question is......

As you can adjust both mirrors in and out how much adjustment is to much as in can it throw out how the image is reflected to the eyepiece?

Or to put it simply should there be a set distance between both mirrors?

Cheers paul

The distance is to some extent pre-ordained by the foacl length of the primary mirror.

In a nutshell if the secondary mirror is exactly undermneath the focuser its in the right position.

The primary is usually easiest to adjust by having one of the collimation adjusters pull the primary mirror all the way back and adjust the mirror with the other two.

Any small differences in the distance between the primary and secondary arrangement are taken care of by the focuser.

In a nutshell if you bought the primary mirror further up the tube towards the secondary the focuser tube would need to come out further.

Hope thats helped a bit.

Archived