NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coma correctors

I'm looking to buy a coma corrector for my 200P Newt. At the moment I'm doing images with a Canon DSLR but am looking to try my hand at CCD imaging in the future.

I'm looking at both the Skywatcher coma corrector, Coma Correctors - Skywatcher Coma Corrector, and the Baader MPCC Coma Correctors - Baader MPCC Visual & Photographic set.

I know Baader has a good rep, but it is more expensive :(. Will either (or both) be suitable for DSLR and later on CCD use, possibly with a 1.25" adapter? Is there anything else I should be aware of, like perhaps focussing problems, or anything I might need in addition? Or if anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks,

I only have experience of the Baader CC and that is excellent. However, obtaining focus may be an issue for you - I had to make up a special adapter to allow me to achieve focus on my rack and pinion equipped 200P but if you have a low profile focuser then you *may* be OK. Using a 1.25" adapter is almost certainly going to be problematical as it will shift the camera/CC outwards even further thus exacerbating the problem.

Archived