skywatcher 130p..... any help please!

I am totally new to astronomy and I have just purchased a skywatcher130p synscan from first light optics, who I have to say have been very helpful!!!

I would very much appreciate any help or advice any members have for me.

Since my purchase only a week ago I have only had about an hour of clear skys. I managed to see the moon through all magnifications which was very impressive and very clear!

I also observed Jupiter through all magnifications the moons were very clear; however the detail on Jupiter itself was very hazy to say the least and in fact I'm not sure if some of it wasn't down to more of my imagination!

I have purchased baader solar film from first light optics and as usual Martin was very helpfull in his advice to me.

I cannot wait to see my fist observations of the sun!!!

I intend to use the cap that is on the 130p which has a cap that comes off by which I should be able to attach the solar film.

Anyway any advice from any 130p owners on any of the above would be much appreciated

Hi Jean-Luc - the amount of detail you see on Jupiter depends very much on seeing conditions - you may see it very hazy or appear to "bubble" if the atmosphere is heavy or moist.

This is the same on all scopes. Best viewed when the planet is high and not looking through so much atmosphere. If it's close to the horizon you're looking through more atmosphere and it wont be as good. You should see the banding though, and the GRS if it's on this side.

The other thing is eyepiece quality - good ep's will give crisper, clearer views - and that's a whole other subject - sadly the supplied ep's are usually average at best :icon_salut:

Great advice thanks very much, would i be right in thinking then the best position to view an object would be as high as i canget it to be in the sky?

Thats the ideal, yes. Your target objects can of course be viewed at much lower to the horizon, but as has been mentioned, the image you will see at low declinations has to fight its way through more atmosphere than anywhere up near the zenith (above your head!). Sometimes when the seeing is perfect you can obtain very good views lower down, but the higher up you go, the views become much, much better.

Im still looking for the perfect seeing opertunity! Hopefully i will get some very clear nights as winter draws in, crisp - clear - cold nights,i dont mind the cold at all. My favourite target is the Orion constellation. Im looking forward to seeing that from late October onward, when it rises fairly high at a fairly decent time!!

Archived